Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Calligraphy Lesson

Three friends and I went to an International Student club event held in the Global Lounge this evening. They had a master of calligraphy who had been practicing and learning calligraphy for 20 years. They had homemade milk tea, tiramisu, mango cake, and brownie bites for refreshments, and started off the event with a small lesson on the history of calligraphy. Afterwards, he taught us the basic strokes and we were able to practice before we made our own Chinese fans. They gave out fans for prizes and also let us take home fans that the master had written on. It was a lot of fun, and we were able to meet some of the local NTU students as well. And as a side note, the calligrapher was the funniest person I've met since I've been here. The combination of his accent, his word choice, his dress (a traditional Chinese shirt), and his attitude was hilarious.

The master wrote out our school's name 

I asked the calligrapher to write 'Taiwan' for me, so I could write it on my fan. He wrote it in both Kaishu (regular style) and Caosu (running style).

After much practicing, I decided to simply trace his characters so that my fan would look nice. I signed my Chinese name in the left-hand corner.

They handed out some of the fans that the master had done. I wanted this one the second I saw it. It says: "Kaohsiung welcomes you." Represent!

They had a series of poems and phrases on the overhead, and if you could find the fan that matched the poem or phrase, you got to take it home. Flieg mit mir is "fly with me" in German. 

I was able to match the phrase with the fan, and won this beauty. It was definitely a match made in heaven. I guessed a German phrase correctly and won my Taiwanese fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment