Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 8 - Kaohsiung

I was told by my uncle that I had to be ready to be picked up at 9:30am, so I was up by 8:00am to shower and get ready. I got a phone call from my eldest aunt, telling me to meet her at the subway instead, so I followed her directions and went to meet her at the subway. We headed towards my other aunt and uncle's home so it would be easier for them to pick us up and waited at a nearby 7-11. When they picked us up, we began driving towards Pingtung, which was where we planned on spending the day.

Once in Pingtung, we had lunch at a famous ham hock restaurant. We had so many delicious foods, and I thought I would explode from being so full. Later, my aunts and uncle told me that we were going to have tea at a place higher up the mountain, but we ended up eating even more food instead. Needless to say, I slept nearly the entire way home. Too much food...

When my aunt and I were got back to Kaohsiung, my aunt fell asleep on the couch nearly right away. So I went shopping at the young fashion night market, XinJueJiang. In addition, because I was low on cash, I was forced to treat myself to a Baskin Robbins ice cream crepe. It was quite painful ;)

The night ended with (happy) me watching movies on the couch...which is all I really need.

Delicious ham hock. I had to eat in moderation to avoid a headache.

Fried tofu

Plain veggies. My aunts and uncle kept telling me to take pictures to send home to my dad. I was more than willing for things of interest, but found it funny that they insisted I take a picture of this. Oh well, more memories!

Fried oysters

You choose your own ham hock. I'm only glad that I saw this after I had eaten. 

Coconut water for 10NT

Bamboo with sweet mayo (and sprinkles)

I don't know why this was so delicious, but I couldn't stop eating. My family told me that it was made from rice and coconut.

One of the best chickens I've ever eaten in my entire life. It was slow roasted/cooked/broiled with mushrooms and garlic for 50 minutes. I wish I could have eaten more. I love you, Pingtung chicken!

These are the ovens that the chickens are cooked in.

My little cousin, PeiChi the Explorer

I'm so fortunate when I go back to Taiwan, because it seems as if there is always some type of celebration. This firework show lasted so long, that I had to walk away from it. After timing it, it ended up being over 25 minutes long.

I am not a big fan of Baskin Robbins in the U.S., but in Taiwan, I can't resist. Bananas, crepe, whipped cream, AND Baskin Robbins ice cream?! How could I?

No comments:

Post a Comment