Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unexpected

My mom's younger brother has always been pretty quiet. Except for television, he never expresses an strong interest for anything else. I think he's a pretty easy-going guy, but I've always wondered what goes on in that head of his...

So when I went home during spring break, he immediately asked me if I was hungry. I thought his behavior was strange at the time, but the question was a natural one to ask someone who has been traveling. He offered me an egg tart, and I munched happily without thinking much of it. It was only until later that I found out some interesting news: my uncle picked up baking! This is in addition to cooking, but he made the egg tart as well as other delicious goodies. I've never been more happy. To hear that he's attending classes and learning how to make such yummy treats makes his niece very, very glad.

These are black sesame candies(?) with peanuts. I ate these all weekend.

While I was there, my aunt offered my uncle there old toaster oven. He seemed excited at the idea of being able to test out recipes at home, and before I knew it, he had already started making muffins.

He went to a specialty store to pick up mini muffin tins, baking powder, baking soda, and other ingredients. My uncle is very particular about the way he makes things. My brother and I recall him making his tuna sandwiches a very certain way...I think those tendencies makes an excellent baker!

TADA! Our mini muffins! The oven got pretty finicky towards the end, but we were still able to use up all the batter.

Molasses mini muffins with raisins and dried longan, sprinkled with cashews. Serve with milk or coffee for a delicious treat ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment